A Digital Marketer develops strong and innovative digital marketing strategies, using SEO, PPC, and other techniques to drive traffic to company pages and generate interest in company products and services. Creates engaging written, graphic, and video content while staying up-to-date on latest marketing technologies and social media.
Digital marketers are involved in developing an organization’s multi-channel communication strategies. They may work across several areas or specialize in a few, depending on the size and requirements of their employer.
Key areas include:
- social media marketing: developing a distinct online presence by attracting high numbers of internet followers through social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
- search engine optimisation (SEO): developing strategies to increase the number of visitors to a website by achieving high-ranking placements in search results.
- pay-per-click (PPC) campaigns: sponsored online advertising paid for by the business to appear alongside non-paid search results.
- mobile marketing: includes app-based, in-game, location-based and SMS marketing.
- affiliate marketing: where a business allows other businesses (affiliates) to sell products on their website. The affiliate is paid commission for each customer brought to the website by their own marketing strategies.
Employers of Digital Marketers
Digital marketers can find employment in all sectors. Many large and medium-sized companies have an in-house marketing and communications department, which offers digital marketing services in addition to traditional marketing support.
Alternatively, you could apply to work at a marketing agency, handling projects and marketing contracts outsourced by companies.
- Develop and implement SEO and PPC strategies
- Create and manage link building strategies, content marketing strategies, and social media presences
- Innovate and present new marketing platforms and strategies
- Develop engaging online content including clickbait, forums, videos, graphics, and blogs; monitor and analyze content success
- Forecast marketing campaign growth and ROI for marketing campaigns
- Manage email and social media marketing campaigns
- Contact, interview, and hire third party graphic designers, web designers, and videographers to create unique and engaging content
- Use Google Analytics, Google AdWords, and other relevant sites
- Drive traffic to company pages
- Develop and manage projects and team members, including delegating tasks, reviewing team member work, adhering closely to deadlines and to budget, developing and revising ideas, and implementing projects
- Keep abreast of new social media sites, web technologies, and digital marketing trends; implement these new technologies in developing campaigns and update current campaigns to include new information.
This area of work is open to all graduates; however the following subjects may be particularly useful:
- advertising, media and communications;
- business and technology;
- creative design;
- strong verbal communication skills for articulating ideas to colleagues and clients;
- excellent written communication skills for producing high quality content;
- attention to detail and accuracy;
- the ability to work independently and flexibly;
- the capacity to prioritize and work across multiple projects;
- the ability to work as part of a team;
- organizational skills with the ability to deliver a high volume of quality work;
- creative skills for contributing new and innovative ideas;
- the ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines;
- networking and analytical skills;
- knowledge of existing and emerging social media platforms;
- excellent IT skills.