Dentists are medical healthcare professionals who focus specifically on the oral and dental hygiene of their patients.
Dentists prevent and treat problems affecting the mouth and teeth, including dental and oral disease. They also treat injuries and correct dental issues.
Types of dentistry
You may choose to specialize in a different area of dentistry, such as:
- community dental care: working in patients’ homes, nursing homes and community clinics, treating patients who have special requirements that mean they can’t attend a high-street practice;
- dental public health: carrying out non-clinical work, assessing the dental health needs of populations rather than individuals;
- hospital dental care: dealing with cases of special difficulty or providing treatment to long-stay hospital in-patients and emergency treatment for short-stay patients. Treatment may be provided to the general public for teaching purposes.
Employers of Dentists
Dentists are typically employed by government health institutions in Lesotho or by a private practice.
- educating patients on oral healthcare;
- examining teeth and diagnosing patients’ dental conditions by using tools such as x-rays;
- assessing treatment options and agreeing treatment plans with patients;
- carrying out agreed clinical treatments such as restoring teeth affected by decay and treating gum disease;
- maintaining patients’ dental records;
- recruiting, training and managing staff;
- overseeing budgets and maintaining stocks of equipment;
- marketing services to potential clients.
- A thorough and methodical approach
- Ability to work long hours, often under pressure
- Good ethical grounding
- Teamwork skills