We follow global evidence-based practice guidelines and incorporate resources from RethinkED (a web-based program from USA) and RUBI Autism Network (a parent training manual) in order to build a parent-led intervention that aims to help train parents to teach their child with Autism. The primary tasks of this position will be to utilize these tools, along with supervision guidance or intervention design, to train parents to teach their child a variety of skills. Some of this will be done by meeting with parents/caregivers at the centre to have computer-based time to role play with parents and alternate this with time spent in a play room with both parent and child to ensure teaching is being conducted in the most effective and progressive manner. Others will have shorter term biweekly parent training meetings between facilitator and parent only, focusing on general skills to assist in overcoming challenging behaviours and teaching tools for their child.
Primarily, the role focuses on seeing parents/caregivers in centre every 2- 4 weeks, with phone or skype sessions in between. These services are currently offered free of charge, with the costs being sponsored to ensure that lower resourced families in need can access support.
This post will be jointly managed by Shani Lits, the local program director of Ernie Els Centre for Autism South Africa; (Board Certified Behaviour Analyst) as well as online consultations with the professionals at the Els for Autism organisation in Florida, USA. This would include weekly supervision as part of local Els team, and adhoc trainings; monthly/bimonthly supervision via Skype with international supervisors; as well as training in use of specialised web-based tool (RethinkED) to be included in tools used to teach parents how to teach their child with Autism.
- Assist with intakes and intake assessments
- Provide direct client care in 1:1 and group settings
- Implement programs according to the behaviour plan written by the supervisor
- Record or upload results or homework for all goals during each behavioural session
- Assist with parent/caregiver training related to the client’s individualized treatment plan
- Effectively communicate with parents/caregiver regarding the child’s progress
- Participate in team meetings with staff, clients and their families
- Create materials for programs
- Maintain client confidentiality
- Attend training to maintain and acquire technical Applied Behaviour Analytic knowledge (including becoming a Registered Behaviour Technician through the Behaviour Analytic Certification Board)
- Minimum of honours/diploma in the fields of psychology, rehabilitation, early childhood intervention or specialised education
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in child/adolescence with developmental delays- a year of which was specifically in the field of Autism
- Speaking an African language would be a bonus
- Salary: commensurate with one’s abilities/ experience
Please will all interested parties email their CV, along with any accompanying documentation, to [email protected] and entitle it ATT: application for facilitator role in Johannesburg.