Calling Africa’s most promising social entrepreneurs to apply for the 2019 Sankalp Africa Awards. Read more about what’s in store for the winners of this coveted Award & apply below!
The Sankalp awards is a prestigious ceremony held annually that seeks to showcase innovative and successful companies within East Africa. The winners are not only recognized but they also get a chance to pitch before a delegation of more than 1000 stakeholders who include Investors, Development Finance Institutions (DFIs), multilaterals, cooperates and development practitioners. The Sankalp Award Finalists selection is facilitated by The Intellecap Impact Investment Network (I3N). Sankalp Finalists are drawn from a pool of enterprises selected to receive Investment Readiness Support from I3N.
The Intellecap Impact Investment Network (I3N) an inititive of Intellecap, is an angel investor network bringing together individual angel investors and early stage funds who seek to invest between USD 100,000-USD 1,000,000 into curated companies that I3N prepares and showcases before the network. I3N provides individualized investment readiness support to enteprises before showcasing them to the investors.
I3N is looking for companies that operate within East Africa that seek to participate in this program that culminates into the Sankalp awards.
I3N investor showcase will be held on 20th February 2019
Sankalp awards will be held on 21st February 2019
Application deadline: 7th December 2018
WHO CAN APPLY?
We are looking for enterprises that:
– Have a clear for-profit business model with high potential for scale
– Are in the sectors of Agriculture, Financial services, Healthcare,Clean Energy, and livelihoods (Education, Water, and Sanitation)
– Have already conducted some proof of concept or have a beta versiosn of their products running on the ground, and are preferably generating revenues
– The solution should be clearly catering to rural, low-income, disadvantaged communities or people living at the Bottom of the Pyramid (BoP)
– Have an experienced and dedicated promoter team.
– Are looking for funding in the range of USD 100K – USD 1mn
WHAT WILL THE WINNERS GET?
– One-on-one Investment readiness preparation
– Pitching in front of seasonal investors and the I3N network members(investors)
– Match making to potential investors
– Networking with pioneers and transformers in the business field in East Africa
– Networking with other entrepreneurs
– Hand-holding through the fundraising process
– Two free tickets to Sankalp
– Internal application review and 1st round shortlisting
– Deep dive calls with shortlisted enterprises by the I3N team
– 2nd round shortlisting after deep dive calls
– Communication to successful enterprises after 2nd round shortlisting
– Presentation to a group of select investors- Qualification to be a Sankalp semi-finalist
– Investment readiness support based on the needs identified by the investors and collateral preparation
– Sankalp registration
– Investor Pitching: I3N showcase- closed door event (Morning of 20th February, 2019)
- Interested investors express interest to invest in your business- feedback is collated and send to entrepreneurs
– Sankalp Awards Pitching: Sankalp finalist grand Jury (Afternoon of 20th February, 2019)
- Selection to be a Sankalp winner and announcement is done the next day
– Sankalp Awards – Top 5 are selected to have a one-on-one quick chat with Jeff Koinange on the main stage during the main plenary session on 21st February 2019
– Sankalp Awards- The top 3 are given the Sankalp prestigious awards on 21st February 2019
Post Sankalp Investment Facilitation*:
– Working on feedback and I3N investment facilitation continues with the interested investors
– Upon successful deal closure, I3N takes a success fee as a percentage of the amount facilitated