Opportunity from the Bristol Short Story Prize:
The 2019 Bristol Short Story Prize is open for entries. The competition is open to all writers around the world whether published or unpublished, UK or non-UK based.
The closing date for entries is midnight (BST) May 1st 2019.
20 stories will be shortlisted and published in Bristol Short Story Prize Anthology Volume 12.
The winner and 2 runners up will be selected from the shortlist and announced at an awards ceremony
in October 2019.
1st prize is £1,000, 2nd prize is £500, 3rd prize is £250. 17 further prizes of £100 will be presented
to the remaining shortlisted writers. All shortlisted writers will receive 2 free copies of the anthology.
Prizes will be sent to any writer on the shortlist who is unable to attend the awards ceremony.
Please read the rules for the 2019 Bristol Short Story Prize carefully before entering:
- Closing date for receipt of entries is May 1st 2019 at midnight BST (‘midnight’ meaning the very last second of May 1st 2019).
- Entrants must be over 16 years old on the closing date, May 1st 2019.
- The maximum length of submissions is 4,000 words (does not include title), there is no minimum length. Stories can be on any theme or subject and are welcome in any style including graphic, verse or genre-based (Crime, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Children’s etc..) .
- The 2019 Bristol Short Story Prize is open to all published and unpublished writers. There is no geographical restriction on entry – the 2019 Bristol Short Story Prize is open to everyone, whether they are based in the UK or outside the UK. Entries can be made online or by post. All entries must be in English. Online entries should be submitted via the online entry facility, usually in Word document, pdf or equivalent. Postal entries will only be accepted as printed typescripts. There are no specific formatting requirements: font type, font size, line spacing etc. Writers may format their work in the way they feel is most appropriate – we do not specify any particular format for submissions. Please send postal entry/entries to: Bristol Short Story Prize, Unit 5.16, Paintworks, Bath Road Bristol BS4 3EH
- Authors may enter as many stories as they like. There is an entry fee of £9 for each story submitted to the 2019 Bristol Short Story Prize. Payment for online entries to the 2019 Bristol Short Story Prize should be made via the website online entry facility. Entrants will be transferred to the Paypal website after they have submitted their story/stories to the 2019 Bristol Short Story Prize to pay the entry fee. Payment for postal entries to the 2019 Bristol Short Story Prize should be made by cheque. Cheque payments must be in pounds sterling and cheques should be made payable to ‘Bristol Short Story Prize Ltd.’. Each postal submission must be accompanied by a signed entry form confirming an entrant has read the rules of the 2019 Bristol Short Story Prize and accepts the rules of the 2019 Bristol Short Story Prize.
- Entries will not be returned. Please keep a copy. No corrections or alterations can be made after receipt of an entry.